Harwood Law represents lawyers and their clients in legal malpractice, disciplinary proceedings, investigations and law firm partnership disputes. The firm’s founder, Tony Harwood, has served as a Chairperson of the Ethics Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association for over a decade. He has also served on the Ethics Committee of the New York City Bar Association.Representative Matters
- Defended a leading New York law firm in a three week trial against claims of malpractice arising out of a $70 million stock purchase agreement. Obtained a judgment dismissing all claims and an affirmance on appeal.
- Defended an international law firm in multi-district, class action litigation alleging claims of securities fraud and malpractice arising out of the firm’s representation of the lead underwriter in a public offering. Obtained a dismissal of all claims on a pretrial motion.
- Defended a lawyer in a joint investigation by the department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission into criminal and civil charges of securities fraud.
- Defended a law firm against claims by a departing partner for compensation allegedly due on unfinished business.
- Defended a law firm against claims by a former partner for pension benefits. Obtained a dismissal on a motion for summary judgment which was affirmed by the New York Court of Appeals after a reversal by the intermediate appellate court.
- Prosecuted claims against lawyers for misappropriating Trust funds and committing malpractice against the Trust and others.
- Pursued a disciplinary complaint for clients against their former lawyer in the New York State Grievance Committee for the 10th Judicial District, which led to discipline for the lawyer.